Conventional medicine has a definitive place and has served the world over. Functional medicine looks at the treatment picture and priorities treatment based on a one’s unique needs. As we all are different in genetic design, grouping treatment needs for the masses, fall short of optimised care. When we become aware of this we can seek out a practitioner who uses functional medicine methods to treat our being and not provide relief from the potential disease.
Dr Mark Hyman, in the Broken Brain docu-series says that when it comes to our brains, broken brains can manifest in many different ways, including Alzheimer’s, dementia, ADHD, autism, depression, anxiety, and traumatic brain injury.
Dr. Chatterjee talks about some simple, powerful steps you can take to fix your body and brain. There are 10 takeaways of the interview with Dr. Chatterjee, we list a few below:
- You have the power to reverse disease. Dr. Chatterjee discusses how he helps patients with chronic illness reverse these conditions, diseases like Type 2 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and depression—without pharmaceutical drugs or other invasive procedures.
- Stress was discussed as a cause that dramatically affects brain health. He mentions 4 common factors that dramatically impact brain health. These being diet, stress, sleep and gut health.
- Gut health impacts not only our physical body, but also our brain. Research on how gut health is the motor to immunity, to the way we think and behave, has shown the importance on nourishing our bodies to optimize all other aspects of our well-being.
- Good health doesn’t need to be complex or expensive. Dr. Chatterjee discussed that about 80 percent of what positively impact our brain and overall health is free.
- Cultivate a positive mindset that prioritizes health and wellness over medications.
- Prioritize exercise—you don’t need an hour-long workout to get its benefits. In our work we have a 2,5 minute exercise programme (Mind Your Body) that is sufficient for your daily exercise needs.
- Spiritual connection is also a vital and overlooked factor to many of the above points.
In our work with clients we cover all aspects mentioned. No one physical aspect takes preference over another as they all work interchangeably together to result in one’s optimal well-being. We do believe that the foundation to well-being is an enlightened spiritual walk. Every process has a starting point and end in mind. In so doing, you will eliminate wasted effort and time to achieve one’s personal goals.